We’ve heard from Sonic Youth’s Lee Ranaldo about the top three albums of the decade, and now we have a year-end list from guitarist (and Gossip Girl fanboy) Thurston Moore. On the official site of his record label, Ecstatic Peace, Moore contributed to an ongoing poll of the best live performances from 2009. I’ve listed his picks below, but you should definitely check out Moore’s amusing blurbs here, as well.
1) John Olson and Khristopher Reinshagen “in the basement of some pad in
2) Cold Cave [opening for Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr.] at Terminal 5, New York City
3) Jesus Lizard at Irving Plaza in NYC and Awesome Color at Glasslands in Brooklyn.
Thurston declares David Yow’s stage banter, “Thank you, you’ll never see us again,” the best end of gig line ever.
4) Leslie Keffer and Thurston Moore in Nashville, TN
“I only list this because I got to smash my guitar in Leslies face only to have her wrestle me to my back and strangle me while some weird, drunken bearded dude knelt down and yelled in my ear “dude 100% is like the greatest jam ever!!”
5) Talk Normal at Hampshire College Tavern - Amherst, MA
6) Iggy & The Stooges in Rio, Brazil (first Raw Power reunion set with James Williamson.)
7) Okkyung Lee and Carlos Giffoni duo at Glasslands, Brooklyn